How long have you been breeding cats? A good breeder will have been breeding cats for many years and will have a good reputation in the community.
- How many litters do you have at a time? A responsible breeder will not have more than one or two litters at a time. This ensures that they can give each kitten the individual attention it needs.
- How often do you breed your queens? A queen should not be bred more than once a year. This allows her time to recover from the pregnancy and birth, and to care for her kittens.
- How old are your queens when you breed them for the first time? A queen should not be bred before she is at least 18 months old. This gives her body time to mature and develop.
- What health tests do you do on your cats? A responsible breeder will have their cats sphynx cat for sale near me tested for common health problems, such as feline leukemia and feline AIDS.
- Have any of your cats had any health problems? If so, what were the problems and how were they treated?
- What kind of diet do you feed your cats? A good breeder will feed their cats a high-quality diet that is appropriate for their age and breed.
- How have you socialized your kittens? Kittens that are well-socialized are more likely to be outgoing and friendly.
- Can I meet the kitten’s parents? Meeting the kitten’s parents can give you a good idea of what the kitten will look like and how it will behave.
- Can I take the kitten home with me today? A responsible breeder will not let you take a kitten home until it is at least eight weeks old. This gives the kitten time to bond with its mother and littermates.
It is also important to visit the breeder’s home and see the kittens in person. This will give you a chance to see how they are being cared for and to get a feel for their personality.
By asking these questions, you can be sure that you are getting a healthy and well-bred cat from a reputable breeder.