There are various issues to contemplate when shopping for a sleeping bag. On this article, I’ll give an outline of what to search for in a sleeping bag, and provide tips about which kind of bag is greatest in your wants.
Season & temperature ranking – The very first thing to contemplate when taking a look at sleeping baggage is to ask your self when will you be utilizing it probably the most. Are you a 12 months spherical camper, or simply get out on the occasional lengthy weekend over the summer season months? Luggage are sometimes good for both summer season, 3 season, or winter tenting. It’s a good suggestion to purchase a bag that has a ranking of some levels colder than you count on to ever be tenting in.
Fill – The fill has a big affect on the efficiency of the bag and its weight. The 2 sorts of fill are down and artificial.
* Down: Down is a superb pure insulator. It’s light-weight and really sturdy. Down baggage might be costlier than artificial baggage, however have a for much longer life ( 3 – 5 instances longer). The draw back of down baggage (no pun meant) is that they lose insulation when moist, so it’s essential you retain them as dry as potential. A vapour barrier liner (mentioned under) may also help with this. When taking a look at down baggage you must have a look at the ‘fill energy’, a quantity from 400 – 750. A better ranking provides you with higher heat for a similar weight.
* Artificial: These differ in weight and sturdiness. Usually the extra loft and sturdiness of an artificial bag, the heavier it’s. The benefit of artificial baggage over down is a decrease price, and their potential to retain warmth when moist. On longer again nation journeys the place it will not be potential to maintain the bag dry, an artificial could also be most popular.
Loft – The loft is the puffiness or thickness of the bag and is instantly associated to the temperature ranking of the bag. The extra loft, the hotter the bag and likewise the extra weight. Down supplies the perfect loft for weight.
Shell / Cloth – Cloth ought to be sturdy and lightweight. The thread rely is often the perfect measure of material high quality. Nylon and polyester are sometimes used, as they’re sturdy, considerably water-resistant, and nonetheless breathable. If you’re going to be tenting so much the place it could be exhausting to maintain the bag dry, look right into a Gore-Tex or Dryloft material, that are extra waterproof.
Quantity – The dimensions of your bag when packed might be one thing to contemplate for again nation tenting when you’ve got restricted area in your again pack. Compression baggage may also help cut back the quantity, particularly with down fill baggage.
Weight – Additionally necessary to contemplate for again nation tenting, and once more, down baggage will sometimes be lighter weight than artificial fill.
Fashion – There are 3 types of sleeping baggage: mummy, barrel, and rectangular. The form of the bag impacts how comfy it’s, how effectively it retains warmth, and the way effectively it can compress.
* Mummy baggage: are designed to save lots of weight and retain warmth. They’re tapered on the ft, wider on the shoulders, and have a rounded hood for the pinnacle. The draw back to mummy baggage is that some folks discover them claustrophobic, and you’re unable to open them up all the way in which to create a blanket due to the way in which the zipper ends across the shin space.
* Barrel baggage: are a hybrid between mummy and rectangular baggage. They haven’t any hood, and are just a little roomier, however nonetheless considerably tapered.
* Rectangular baggage: are…effectively rectangular. They’re very roomy, and as such do not present the perfect heat to weight. They’re bulkier than different baggage and let a whole lot of physique warmth escape. They’re greatest fitted to hotter climate tenting, and never sometimes advisable for many again nation tenting. On the plus aspect they’re so much cheaper than different baggage.
Different options – A couple of different options that you could be need to think about.
* Hood: round 40% of physique head escapes by the pinnacle. A hood is a superb function to assist retain that warmth.
* Neck yoke: some baggage have a ‘collar’ sort function that can contour round your neck and shoulders to additional retain warmth.
* Zipper and draft tube: zippers might be on the left or proper, relying on whether or not you’re left or proper handed for ease of opening and shutting. Extra importantly, if you’re going to be zipping two baggage collectively, ensure one is a left zipper and the opposite a proper. The draft tube is a tube that runs alongside the again aspect of the zipper to retain warmth.
* Size: This can be a no-brainer, however baggage come in several sizes. Get one you’ll match into!
Different components – So, you have learn this entire article, gone out and bought an excellent bag in your wants. Now there are a couple of different issues that can issue into its efficiency:
* Sleeping pad: These are crucial, and temperature ranking methods assume you’ve got an honest AKSOUL sleeping pad.
* Vapour barrier liners (VBL): Finest utilized in sub-zero temperatures, a VBL suits contained in the sleeping bag to cease warmth loss. These can add 5 – 10 levels C to your bag’s temperature ranking.
* Overbags: Work to cut back the quantity of condensation your bag collects, thus preserving the inside fill dryer and hotter. These, like VBLs, can add 5 – 10 levels to your bag’s temperature ranking.
* Clothes: Carrying fleece clothes, lengthy underwear and a toque are nice methods to remain even hotter on chilly nights.
By now you must have a great understanding of what to search for in a sleeping bag, and what’s going to allow you to keep away from waking up, tooth chattering, in the course of the evening!